Steps that you should take if your civil rights were violated

In Illinois, laws exist to protect individuals' civil rights in the workplace, in acquiring housing and during police stops. They protect individuals from being discriminated against for belonging to protected classes such as a certain religious, racial or age groups or because they're perceived to be of a certain gender or sexual orientation. Legal remedies are available for you to pursue if your civil rights have been violated.

One effective way of resolving civil rights violations disputes is by addressing them via informal negotiations.

If an employee accuses their employer of having discriminated against them because of their age, for example, then they may be able to sit down with their attorney and their employer. They may be able to collectively broker a deal whereby the employee can receive lost compensation for their employer's indiscretion. Oftentimes, a company will have the worker sign a document agreeing not to file suit in exchange for offering this.

In instances where employers are unwilling to engage in informal negotiations, it may be necessary for the employee to file a civil rights lawsuit. You have two options when filing such a case. You can either file it in state or federal court. It's often necessary to first submit a complaint to a state or federal government official first though. When you do, they'll likely launch an investigation into your claims to enforce your civil rights. They may even take legal action against the parties accused of having violated them as well.

Whether they do will depend on what laws you claim were violated. It's not necessary for either the plaintiff or the defendant to be affiliated with a government entity for them to act on their behalf.

Once your complaint has been filed with the government, then you may be able to file a lawsuit. It's in that document that you should outline how the defendant violated your civil rights and the harm that you suffered as a result.

What may seem to be a violation of an individual's civil rights may not always be the case. The steps that you should take if they are violated aren't the same in every situation either. A civil rights attorney who has experience taking on problematic, high-profile Chicago cases can guide you in pursuing legal action in your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Protect Your Rights Today

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Office Location

Kulis Law
30 N. Lasalle St.
Suite 2140
Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 312-574-3079
Fax: 312-580-1839
Chicago Law Office Map